It’s tailgating season, and that means finger foods, burgers on the grill, and lots of dips and chips! Originally inspired by Chef Jamie McFadden’s Florida Buffalo Frog Legs recipe, these Buffalo Chicken Wings are sure to score a touch down for your home team! Serve with with fresh bleu cheese dipping sauce, and quick pickled celery, and pair with gold award winning Snowbirds Vintners Grüner Veltliner, or (coming soon!) Snowbirds Vintners Central Coast Red Blend.
Buffalo Style Chicken Wings
By Chef Jamie McFadden
- 16 chicken wings (or 8 frog legs, if you’re feeling gourmet!)
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
In a medium size bowl combine above ingredients and marinate in the fridge for up to 3 hours. Set aside.
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
Blend above ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside. This mixture can be prepared up to one week in advance, stored in an air tight container.
Buffalo Sauce Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 2 teaspoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 3 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch blended with 4 oz COLD water
Place above ingredients except cornstarch into a saucepan and stir to combine. Heat over medium-high heat until just starting to bubble. Whisk in cornstarch mixture to slightly thicken. Remove from heat and allow the sauce to cool. Use immediately or keep refrigerated for up to a week.
The Chicken Wings – directions for breading and frying
1. Prepare oil for frying either in a deep fat electric fryer or by placing one quart of vegetable oil in a 5 quart heavy sauce pot. For stove top method place pot on the stove at medium high heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees, use extreme caution when frying, especially if you are working over an open flame.
2. Breading process: Remove chicken wings from buttermilk mixture and set on a clean dish.
3. Next, taking one wing at a time, lightly coat in prepared cornmeal mixture and then dip back into buttermilk mixture and then again in cornmeal mixture. Gently place wings, one at a time, into hot oil and fry until golden brown, at which point you will remove and place on a paper towel lined cookie sheet.
Repeat breading process until all wings are fried. Note: When preparing any ingredients for frying it is not recommended to “Pre-Coat” all the product prior to frying. Only coat what is immediately going to be fried. This will result in a far superior end product!
4. Place fried wings on serving plates, brush with buffalo sauce, and serve with a side of bleu cheese dipping and Pickled Celery.
Enjoy, and remember to Entertain Deliciously!